Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Writing On the Walls.


Graffiti is a form of illegal art. It is usually tag names, drawings or slogans spray-painted on public property. Many people don't understand the art of graffiti but just recognize it as vandalism. The people behind the slogans and tag names visualize it as a way to become recognized and a way to express themselves. Personally, when I walk down a street and see graffiti, I find it pretty fascinating. Most of the people complaining about it probably can't even draw half as good as the "vandalizers." I think it makes the world more interesting and it adds on to having something to look at.You can truly understand a person by looking at their creations. I know many teenagers that sit there for hours perfecting their work and want other people to recognize their abilities. To do graffiti, a lot of time and money is required. Graffiti artists spend a lot of money buying spray cans and markers. They also buy sketch books in which they draw in until their work meets their satisfaction. I think graffiti should not be a crime, it should be looked at as a form of art.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you Danielle. Graffiti is a form of self expression. Like poetry or music graffiti shows off one's personality. How can it be illegal to express your individuality? There are, although, people that write on walls and call it graffiti. I think there's a fine line between writing your name on a wall and calling it graffiti, opposed to creating a piece of art (with your name, or whatever it may be). Having graffiti looked at as a crime is just another way for society to force conformity.

    -holllllaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with you and Liridona. Graffiti is a street form of Art and its form of art that some people cannot express through pictures but through words. Of course for those people who are not fan of art will not look at Graffiti as artwork. I can understand if the viewers get upset over graffiti that not creative or it just tagging as name. But I can't see why the viewers get upset over these crazy colorful graffiti because they are two different things. I think everyone has their rights to express their own creativity through art to give a "wake-up" call the people in the city that Art is not like what it used to be in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you Danielle. Graffiti is a form of art that many people enjoy. I believe that graffiti is a great way for a person to express themselves and their ideas.I walk around all the time and see graffiti on the walls done as memorials weither it be for a person or for even september 11th. I feel as though it has become a crime because of the fact of where it is displayed. People do not always have respect for others property, what if some random person did graffiti on either of our houses? How would we react to it? It is something that has to be controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that Graffiti can be seen as a form of art but i think Graffiti can also be seen as destruction of someone's property. Coloring the subway trains or bathroom walls is a street form of art but scribbles and writing names on bus windows is not art. Other than that i am not against graffiti and When i'm walking down the streets and i see images painted on wall that actually mean something i really like to stop and take a look at them and appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete